Reformed Churchmen

We are Confessional Calvinists and a Prayer Book Church-people. In 2012, we remembered the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; also, we remembered the 450th anniversary of John Jewel's sober, scholarly, and Reformed "An Apology of the Church of England." In 2013, we remembered the publication of the "Heidelberg Catechism" and the influence of Reformed theologians in England, including Heinrich Bullinger's Decades. For 2014: Tyndale's NT translation. For 2015, John Roger, Rowland Taylor and Bishop John Hooper's martyrdom, burned at the stakes. Books of the month. December 2014: Alan Jacob's "Book of Common Prayer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Common-Prayer-Biography-Religious/dp/0691154813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417814005&sr=8-1&keywords=jacobs+book+of+common+prayer. January 2015: A.F. Pollard's "Thomas Cranmer and the English Reformation: 1489-1556" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-English-Reformation-1489-1556/dp/1592448658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420055574&sr=8-1&keywords=A.F.+Pollard+Cranmer. February 2015: Jaspar Ridley's "Thomas Cranmer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-Jasper-Ridley/dp/0198212879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422892154&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+ridley+cranmer&pebp=1422892151110&peasin=198212879

Monday, November 18, 2013

In Memoriam: Final Salute to Fallen Marine, SGT MAJ "Old Buck," USMC (ret.)


Time line:  17 (Sunday) and 18 Nov (Monday) 2013

 

17 November 2013; About 1500 EST
Divine providence and gratitude for this Sabbath Day. As of 2 hours ago. Church went well, very well. We returned home. (I generally never go out, let alone on the Sabbath aside from Church, but I ran out of "magic markers" and they are needed for reading.) I was backing out of the driveway. I gave a rightward glance...unusual since the driveways are long since we sit on 1 to 2-acre plots here. Just as I glanced rightward ("it just sorta happened"), I saw my neighbor fall to the ground...on his property. He's an old SGT MAJOR, USMC (30 years retired, 'Nam Vet). I ran into my house, directed my daughter to get 911 and follow me. I went back outside, running (unusual these days), and found "Old Buck" lengthwise and with very labored breathing. My daughter monitored the phone while I hunkered over Buck..."Marine down." No answer and not conscious either. Hyopoxic lips, nose and cheeks. I thought he was crossing Jordan. Being trained in that "old Prayer Book," I lifted my eyes to the blue sky and lifted the voice--out loud. "Lighten our darkness we beseech Thee, O LORD, and send Thy light, aid and salvation...defend us from all perils of this day for the love of Thy only Son our Savior, Amen." The labored breathing stopped. I thought he had died. Then he attempted to roll over. He was not coherent at first, but slowly gave indications of some lucidity. I gave him an order,  "Stay down, Marine." I kept talking to him until EMS arrived. They checked him out, cleaned his blood from the eyebrow area (he hit his head on the pavement), but he refused to go to the hospital. "That old doctrine of providence" kicked in...WCF, chapter 5 (does it better than chap 5?). He went back in the house with the help of the EMS attendants. I went to the store to get the highlighters. Upon return, about an hour later, I checked back at his quarters. He's as conscious and pleasant as always. I found out he has Parkisons--which he told the EMS. But, I'll be doing a daily check with "Old Buck." "His eye is on the sparrow..." and "His eye" is on every hair of our heads, without fail. Also, "Old Buck" flies the Marine flag on his front porch too.
 
I thought "Old Buck" was breathing his last. I layed my arms over him, lifted the eyes to heaven, and went into the "old BCP mode." I am ever so thankful for BCP-training. Never mind all the oddballs, apostates, half-whacks and half-loons in our communion. Point granted...and often. Being "trained in those old Collects" is good doctrine, practice, worship and piety.  Out with the heretics and in with the "old Prayer Book" (augmented with the 3FU).
 
November 18, 2013
1430 EST
 
While quietly reading near the living room window today, I noted 2 EMS units arriving next door.  Oh no! Old Buck is down again. He's been my neighbor for 13 years. Talked to the daughter. Buck isn't doing well (still inside). I thought he died yesterday. "Grant, Eternal LORD, faith in Christ alone and grant Thy mercies to the family, through the Omnipotence of Thy Son, our only Redeemer, the One who suffered for our manifold wickednesses, we beseech Thee, Amen."
 
18 November 2013
1630 EST
 
These are real time and live reports.
 
Old Buck just passed moments ago, inside his quarters. Alas, another Marine Corps funeral shortly to come. Watched the EMS bring him out and watched his last ride down our street.
 
A final salute to a fallen Marine.  We'll have the time-honored rituals of passage: the divine service, the interment, the final salute and the taps. RIP, Sergeant Major. "Death," the last enemy yet to be conquered said St. Paul.  We await the resurrection.


 
 

No comments: